10.19.2008

Sunday Breakfast

Sundays are the best days to eat breakfast at 11. You know, when the sun pouring in through the window convinces you to get out of bed and grace the kitchen with your presence (or maybe it was the grumbling stomach). Then you don't eat lunch until 2. I love that; it's like the whole day is delayed just because I'm lazy.

An omelet-to-be.

I also have the luxury of no class or work on Mondays this semester, so I can do that. It's nice, but let me tell you, I don't really accomplish anything. Besides cooking lots, that is. I spent all of Saturday baking two kinds of bread (whole wheat and ciabatta). When I say that I mean I spent the day lounging around waiting on the dough to rise. Maybe I should have fit some homework in there...I've always been more of a grasshopper than an ant, though, what can I say?

Whole wheat (plus a bit of rye) bread baked into little loaves.

When you bake bread you can do decadent breakfasty things like THIS (well, you can also buy the bread, but it's just not as satisfying).

I don't have a toaster so I have to toast my bread in a cast iron skillet. Resourceful!

Mmmm. But I really wanted to tell you about my omelet, a dairy-stuffed number with sour cream and cheese, plus fresh tomatoes and sauteed onions and garlic. This is my favorite omelet filling to date. I think it would only be made better by a generous chiffonade of homegrown basil.

I have nothing better to do that snap photos mid-bite.

Ingredients (to make one omelet):
2 eggs
Splash of water or milk
Some onion and garlic sauteed in butter (boyfriend conveniently made enough for the both of us before I even made it to the kitchen this morning)
Mild white meltable cheese (I used Jarlsberg, a Norwegian Emmental-style)
Generous spoonful of sour cream
A few cherry tomatoes cut into wedges
Salt & pepper to taste

I guess you can't really see the tomatoes in this one.

Method:

Whisk eggs together with the water or milk. Salt now, or not, depending on your preference (salt makes the eggs set firmer, so if you like your eggs more tender, wait until the egg is cooked). Pour egg mixture into skillet still hot and greasy from sauteing onions (have heat reduced to medium low). Cook the omelet however you like. (For me, flipping the damn thing is usually too risky, so I just cook it slowly on one side until all of the egg has set.)

Give it a good grind of pepper at this point (and salt if you haven't already). Position the cheese down the midline of the omelet (know what I mean?) to melt along with the onion/garlic mixture. Take off the heat and smear the spoonful of sour cream along the rest of the filling and scatter the tomatoes over all. Fold (I do my omelets in thirds, and then flop it in half hamburger-style).

Maybe that explains the way I fold it a bit better?

Eat! Preferably with toast smeared with butter and honey. And breakfast beverage of your choice.

This one's gratuitous.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it weird how sour cream makes everything better? I usually don't even have the patience to let an omelet set - I almost always end up with scrambled eggs.

Sherry said...

OMG, I'm so obsessed with food blogs. This is fantastic that you started one! Yay!

dz said...

Ashley: Sour cream does make everything better. Omelets actually are a lot easier once you just chill, turn the heat down, and let it happen. Also making 1.5 egg omelets helps thin them out and cook quicker(if you made them for you & Arlo and just split three eggs, obv).

And Sherry, HI! Haven't seen you in a long time. Tell Dalton hi. I'm also obsessed with food blogs...hence the food blog, haha. Tastespotting.com much? (If you haven't already seen this website I may be starting an addiction for you.)

Bootstrap Farm said...

Wow! This is so much fun!

I miss you Danielle!

Anonymous said...

Um, one look and I was already addicted. Thanks! I don't always cook vegan, but I love to get ideas from http://veganyumyum.com/

Have you chanced across it yet?